Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cyberbully

Today was like any other Sunday. We went to church, ate lunch, dinner, dessert, etc... A lot of eating I am sure you are thinking lol...but we  got to watching a movie that was on ABC Family. Now I normally don't watch this channel much less the movies that come on it but I was drawn by the title. So Moses and I started watching this movie about a girl who gets the privileged of having a computer and then she starting using something similar to FB. Then things escalated when someone hacked into her account and posted a fake status. After that blew over a friend of hers created a fake account of some guy who she opened up with through the internet and told all of her deepest thoughts. As the movie continues things get worse. People start putting fake comments that she has a disease and is easy and what not...it led to the teenage girl to stop going to school and after the boy she liked stop talking to her she couldn't bear the torment anymore. All of the comments had led her to create a suicide video that she posted online. Luckily a friend saw, called her mom, and got there in time to grab the bottle of pills from her hands. For most of you who know me well I am a cry baby when it comes to movies; I can get pretty emotional over the smallest thing. This was when it really hit me and I asked Moses "This really makes me wonder what our teenagers are going to facing?" The thought of what will be going on makes me almost sick to my stomach. I wonder had I been that girl at her age how I would have handled a situation like that and how my girl or boy will handle torment from others. The social network is not what it used to be, you'd have to call your friend on a house phone to figure out what you were going to be doing that weekend. People just text and chat now to even say hello. Kids are exposing themselves more and more each day and it makes me wonder if I do everything in my power to try to show my kids the "right" way to do things, if it will really make a difference. I worry about the future of my children. I worry about what things they will have to face. I know that Moses and I will do what we can to rear our children the proper way but we don't want to shelter them from what is out there. I just hope that when that time comes that our children will learn that it is better not to mess with those kinds of things. I hope they don't think that suicide is a quick fix to being bullied. I hope they don't think that the other person on the end is really who they think they are, or they think that going back and forth with someone with constant insults is going to be a solution to their problems...gosh I sure hope that they know better! I just pray that they can come to Moses and me whenever there is a problem they face and hopefully we can be their word of reason. Hopefully we can be the ones to help our children through the tough times they are going to experience.

2 comments:

  1. i saw that movie too and those were my exact thoughts!! it makes me sad and so scared of the future generation... i don't remember high school being that full of mean girls/boys. i worry if i can handle it as a parent. loved your post about it! gave me a lot to think about too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh....everytime i see teenagers it freaks me out. i think that's why you have to start teaching them from the beginning. i'd like to think that will make the world of difference. but who knows. still scary. maybe we should just build a cage when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete